Broadcaster Steve Hewlett has posthumously been given a prime honour on the Royal Tv Society awards.
Hewlett died on the age of 58 final month, having shared his expertise of dealing with most cancers on BBC Radio four.
He was informed of the honour in January, saying he was “touched” by the accolade. Awards chair Stewart Purvis mentioned he had “achieved a lot”.
A scholarship has been launched in his identify to assist college students from decrease earnings households learning broadcast journalism.
One recipient annually will likely be introduced with the Steve Hewlett Scholarship, which has been arrange by the RTS and The Media Society. In addition to a monetary contribution to their research, the recipient will likely be mentored by RTS members and former colleagues of Hewlett.
Hewlett’s sons collected the judges’ award on his behalf.
The Media Present presenter and Guardian journalist married his partner Rachel Crellin earlier in February, after being informed he didn’t have lengthy to dwell.
Hewlett had spoken movingly about his most cancers journey on the PM programme with Eddie Mair, who introduced his loss of life on the present on 20 February.
Purvis mentioned: “The panel selected a winner who achieved a lot on display screen and off display screen, over the course of his profession and really notably prior to now yr.
“I phoned the winner and that is how I received to inform Steve Hewlett that he had received the judges’ award. Steve informed me he was honoured and touched to have received. He regarded ahead to receiving it on 1 March.
“I do not suppose there has ever been anyone in broadcasting fairly like Steve Hewlett. And possibly by no means will likely be once more.”
RTS Tv Journalism Awards winners
- Each day information programme of the yr: Channel four
- Tv journalist of the yr: Matt Frei
- Information protection – worldwide: Channel four
- Information protection – house: BBC Six and Ten O’Clock Information, prisons particular
- Information channel of the yr: BBC Information Channel
- Breaking information: Sky Information, Brussels terror assault
- Scoop of the yr: Sky Information, IS Information report
- Interview of the yr: Sky Information, Faisal Islam interviews David Cameron
- Specialist journalist of the yr: Lisa Holland, Sky Information
- Community presenter of the yr: Tom Bradby, ITV Information at Ten
- Younger expertise of the yr: Waad al-Kateab
- Digicam operator of the yr: Waad al-Kateab
Two of the awards went to Syrian film-maker Waad al-Kateab, who was granted a visa by the International Workplace to journey to the UK after leaving her house nation.
She received the younger expertise of the yr award and was named digital camera operator of the yr, the primary time that award has been given to a lady.